Wednesday 5 January 2011

The "Novelty Honeymoon"

5 days in and I'm enjoying this.

Okay, I admit it, I went to T**co yesterday - but only to fetch milk for the work tea club (I'd already fetched my own soya milk from 'Pops') and yes, I did pick up some V8 vegetable juice that I'd forgotten.

The "bits I forgot" are going to be the hardest thing, but if I use supermarkets for those then I guess that's fine - so long as I can keep it to things I genunely forgot and not the lazy "I'll pick it up later"

"Pops" is my saviour for this project and this is one of the reasons why I want to keep it up.  A plentiful supply of fruit and veg, plenty of English and Asian foods, spices, sauce mixes and so on.  The store has been there for years, it was a wonder when I moved to Sheffield some 16½ years ago, and since I've only lived out of this neighbourhood for one of those years, it's a shame that i forgot about it for so long.

It's not expensive either....but I have been combining this shopping habit alteration with a rediscovery of cooking.  I've just finished a wonderful bowl of creamy home-made soup made with fresh potatoes, swede, leek, spring onion and carrot - made super-creamy with Soya milk and Soya margarine, with some "Cheezly" dairy-free cheese sprinkled on the top to garnish - all the fancy dairy-free things are available locally from "Zed on the Edge" literally just around the corner from Pops - so perhaps it's time to cut the Holland and Barret habit too - why shop at a chain when I can shop local?  H & B are FAR from cheap too, so it's a no-brainer really.

The question is what do I do on those days when I either am genuinely too busy to cook fresh?  Lunches too for taking to work - the one thing that IS convenient albeit expensive is the pre-packed salads to make my spinach & pasta green pesto salad.  And the easy-cook flavoured cous-cous that I do so like from Aldi.

I admit I may have to pop to Aldi now and then whilst I investigate other sources.  It feels like cheating but at least it's not one of the "Big 4" - still, I do intend to keep it to a minimum with the indent of cutting it out eventually.



Pops Supermarket photo by Paul Denton Cocker 

1 comment: