Tuesday 25 January 2011

I can definitely recommend ditching the supermarkets!

Best move I made I reckon.  As far as shopping goes.

Getting out of the rut of buying the bland fayre, I decided to be a little more adventurous and try the continental supermarket that's on my way home from work on London Road.  It's an independant, single-branch store so it doesn't count as one of the "supermarkets" that I am ditching.

For the second night running  I have had a decidedly mediterranean tea, and very tasty it was too.  Lot of faffing?  Inconvenient?  Time consuming?  Not at all, only cooking is making some pilav rice, and having that with green beans in tomato sauce and stuffed cabbage leaves - both prepared by the simplicity of opening a tin

Some olives, a bit of pickled garlic, and a slice of freshly baked bread to mop up the sauces at the end (giving it the English touch!!)

Cost - about £6 for last night's tea and tonight's tea

The olives came in twice a big a jar for the same price as Tesco charge

In contrast to mediterranean climates however, it's all washed down with Warka Strong and Specjal Jasny Pelny - two very tasty and very potent Polish brews.  Again, far better than the gnat's pee that passes for lagers in Tesco Express

On Polish things from the same store, I've yet to try the "Instant Borscht" that looks more like a packet of super noodles.  And whilst I'm sure it's not haute cuisine out of a packet, it's exciting to try something new - and perhaps I shall have a try at making mushroom uszka to have with it - something I'd never heard of before

I'm pleased.  The "no supermarkets" project is no longer a chore - it's an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment